Why Do People Sin? – Sermon Notes
* Sin is a reality – II Chron. 6:36; Romans 3:10&23; I John 1:8
* Sin nearly as old as Creation – I John 3:8; Gen. 3:8; II Corinthians 11:3; I Timothy 2:13,14
* All have sinned except Christ (I Peter 2:21&22)
What is sin?
* Violation of divine law – I John 3:4, opposite of obedience and righteousness (Romans 6:16-18)
* Disbelief of God’s revealed will – Jer. 35:17; II Thess. 1:7-9
* Jeroboam failed to recognize seriousness of worship pattern, part of God’s will – I Kings 12:25-33; I Kings 15:34
* He that disbelieves will be condemned – Mark 16:16
* Sin entered the world through Adam and Eve – Romans 5:12 & 15-19; Genesis 3
1. Lust and enticement – Jas. 1:14 – where it so often begins.
* Satan tempted Eve (Gen. 3), lied to her. Adam and Eve got too close to forbidden object.
* David drawn away of his own lust and enticed (II Sam. 11).
* Denominationalism entices us today - we lust after “feel good” worship w/o substance or God’s sanction
* Only 1 church (Mt. 16:18; Eph. 4:4), Jesus prayed for unity (Jn. 17:20-21); Division condemned (I Cor. 1)
* Fleshly sins (Gal. 5:19-21) also draw us away. Worldly pursuits do the same (Mark 8:36).
* Eve also enticed by Master Liar (Jn. 8:44; Gen. 3:4)
* David enticed by bathing Bathsheba & paid a terrible price for his resulting indiscretion (II Sam. 12:14)
* Satan still tries to get us today. We must be watchful (I Peter 5:8)
2. Lust leads to sin James 1:15, 1st half. SIN is born of lust!
* Happened in Gen. 3:4. Eve pondered the devil’s lies and lust gave birth to sin
* David’s lust gave birth to sin! (II Sam. 11:4-5) Bathsheba not David’s wife (II Sam. 11:3).
* Lust today causes us to sin. Even Christians are sometimes known to ignore Jesus’ teaching on marriage, divorce,
and remarriage (Matt. 19:9).
* “Harmless” things (work, recreation) can entice us so we neglect our duty to God & family (Mt. 6:33; I Tim. 5:8).
* When work or recreation causes us to forsake the Lord/His church, we sin (I Cor. 10:12; Heb. 10:25).
3. What’s the result of unrepented sin? James 1:15, last half. Sin brings forth death!
* Sin reproduces. Adam’s sin caused us physical death (Gen. 2:17).
* Sin leads to spiritual death (Rom. 6:23).
* David’s sin cost him for years to come (II Sam. 12:9-14).
* Sin can result in death for a believer (I Tim. 5:6). We can be “dead” while still alive – worldly and useless to God.
4. How come we sin?
* Lust leads to enticement which leads to sin which leads to spiritual death (Jas. 1:14-15).
* We fail to use all of our resources to avoid it! Back up, back out of sin!
* I Cor. 10:13 – with every temptation, there is a way of escape! How hard do we look for it?
* Jas. 4:7-8 – Resist the devil, draw nigh unto God!
* Matt. 4: Jesus overcame Satan! How? Scripture!! “It is written...” (Mt. 4:4); “It is written again...” (Mt. 4:7); “Get
thee hence!” (Mt. 4:10). Mt. 4:11 - Satan left!
* Learn from Christ’s temptation: 1) Temptation can be withstood. Jesus did it (Heb. 4:15). 2) God’s Word is our
best defense. 3) When we resist the devil, he’ll give up for a while, but he will eventually come back (I Peter 5:8).
We have to keep sending him away. 4) God is always near (Jas. 4:8).
* Bottom line – We sin because we choose to sin!
* Ignorant sin? Possible. Due to weakness of faith (new faith) or carelessness or not knowing our actions/words
would be found hurtful. If this is the case, we apologize and make amends (Mt. 18:15).
Repent of your sin and make your life right with God. You may never have another chance! (Jas. 4:14)
R.W. McAlister 5/18/08 a.m.