Why Be A Member of the Church of Christ?
1. It is non-denominational.
* Denomination means “division” or “divided.” “A value or size of a series of values
or sizes (as of money).” – Webster
* Only 1 church! Find it in Acts 2. Lord’s church not part of something else.
* The Lord identified it (Acts ), organized it (Acts ), established its
methods of worship (Lord’s Supper & preaching – Acts 20:7; giving – I Cor. 16:1-
2; singing – Eph. 5:19; & praying (Acts 2:42).
* Jesus prayed for unity (John 17:20-23) * Holy Spirit demands unity (I Cor. 1:10).
* One body (Eph. 4:4); it is the one church (Eph. 1:22-23)
* John 15:5 abused to include man-made churches
* The New Testament church was of “one heart and one soul” (Acts 4:32).
2. The church of Christ is the church for which Christ shed His blood in death.
* Jesus died for His church only: no other! (Acts 20:28)
* He only promised one (Matt. 16:18). Established on 1st Pentecost after His resurrection.
* Men and women added to it since then by faith and obedience (Acts 2:47; Heb. 5:8-9).
* He died so believers could be united. Recall His prayer for unity (John 17).
* Only one body (Eph. 4:4). Many members, but only one body (I Cor. 12:20).
* One body is the church (Col. 1:18). To be added, we must: have faith (Heb. 11:6), repent
(Acts 2:38), confess faith in Christ (Acts 8:37), be immersed in water (Acts 2:38; 22:16).
3. It has the right organization.
* Headquarters is in heaven (Phil. 3:20). Jesus is the only head (Eph. 1:22-23; Mt. 28:18)
* Overseen by elders (Acts 14:23). Also called bishops (I Tim. 3:1-2); pastors (Eph. 4:11);
overseers (Acts 20:28); presbyters (I Tim. 4:14).
* Roles are filled by men (I Tim. 2:12-14).
* Qualifications found in I Timothy 3:1-8 and Titus 1:5-9.
* They oversee the flock (I Peter 5:2-3).
* Deacons: Don’t rule, but perform physical tasks in the church (I Tim. 3:8-13).
* Evangelist (minister, preacher): Main functions are to study and preach (I Tim. 4:13; II Tim. 4:2)
* Members: Involved in many areas of church work (I Cor. 12:12-27; Phil. 1:1).
4. It has Scriptural worship.
* Worship must be “in spirit and in truth” (Jn. 4:24).
* Must observe 1st Century pattern: Pray (Acts 2:42; 12:5), Lord’s Supper & Preaching (Acts 20:7), A
capella singing (Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16), Giving (I Cor. 16:2; II Cor. 9:7).
* Whole gospel must be preached (Acts 20:26-27); worship “decently and in order” (I Cor. 14:40).
5. Its only authority is the Bible
* No “creed books,” etc., only the Bible (II Tim. 3:16-17).
* God gave us all we need (II Peter 1:3).
* Bible is word of truth (Ps.119:160), is right (Ps. 33:4), & is gospel of our salvation (Eph. 1:13).
* Lamp to our feet (Ps. 119:105). See also Ps. 119:97. Must respect God’s commands (Ps. 119:6).
* Change the Bible’s commands & be cursed! (Gal. 1:8). * It will judge man (Jn. 12:48). * Don’t add
to or subtract from (Deut. 4:2; Rev. 22:18-19).
6. It’s the church wherein salvation is found!
* What do you profit from gaining the whole world but losing your soul? (Matt. 16:26).
* Jesus bought His church with His blood (Acts 20:28). Is a spiritual house (I Peter 2:5; I Tim. 3:15).
* Not of this world (Jn. 18:36). * Body of Christ is the church of Christ (Colossians 1:18).
* Jesus is “... the saviour of the body” (Ephesians 5:23). * Faithful members of the body will be
saved (Rev. 2:10; II Tim. 4:7-8). * Obey the gospel (II Thess. 1:8) and be added to the church (Acts
2:41&47). * It’s in the church that we’re reconciled to God (Eph. 2:16) and where He receives
glory (Eph. 3:21). * There is salvation in none other! (Acts 4:12).
R.W. McAlister 5/4/08 a.m.