What Is Your Life? – Notes/Study Sheet
* What is your life?
* Life is fleeting!
- I Chron 29:15 –
- Job 7:6 –
- Job 9:25-26 –
- Job 14:1 –
- Psa. 39:5 –
- Gen. 47:9 –
* Paul’s second missionary trip (Acts 17). God gives life to all things (Acts 17:25).
1. Life is not an accident!
* Evolution/spontaneous generation all ludicrous notions!
* “In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth” (Gen. 1:1).
* George Wald –
2. If human life is a gift from God, then it’s sacred.
* Arbitrary murder wrong from the beginning (Gen. 9:6).
* We are governed by civil law which God established (Rom. 13).
* Christians must persuade men (II Cor. 5:11), not murder them on our own accord.
* How many who cried over the murdered doctor never shed a tear for the babies he in turn had murdered?
* Inconceivable that abortion be defended! Babies are human, living, and innocent – in and out of the womb!
* How long can we survive as long as we practice abortion? (Prov. 14:34).
* What about Capital Punishment? Universal principle sanctioned by God (Gen. 8:22, Gen. 9).
* Gen. 9:6 – “Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.”
* Man is still in the image of God. Capital punishment sanctioned in all ages. Mosaic age (Num. 35; Deut. 19).
- Accidental death (Deut. 19:3-5) – Manslaughter.
- Planned/premeditated (Num. 35:16-21 & Deut. 19:11-13) – Planned murder. Murderer’s life must be taken! Only
way to cleanse the land.
* Christian age – John 19 – Jesus didn’t deny that Pilate had the power to crucify Him (v. 9-10).
- Acts 25:11 – Paul on trial before Festus. Acknowledges that he could be put to death, but didn’t deserve it.
- Romans 13:4 – Sword reference to capital punishment.
3. Life and Stewardship.
* All life belongs to God. We must take care of the life God has entrusted us (Ezek. 18:4).
* “Steward,” from Greek “oikonomous,” means “house arranger.” To do with managing that which is someone else’s.
* Used of elders (Titus 1:7), teachers of the Word (I Cor. 4:1-2; & 3:5), & of Christians (I Peter 4:10).
* God possesses everything (Psalm 50:10-12).
* We’ll give account to God for our stewardship (Luke 16:2; I Corinthians 4:2).
* Our purpose is to glorify & obey God (Isa. 43:7; Eccl. 12:13).
* We must prepare for eternity! (II Sam. 14:14).
* Abraham set his eyes on Heaven (Heb. 11:9-10) & walked in steps of faith (Rom. 4:12).
* In parable of virgins (Matt. 25), the difference between both groups was preparation!
* Only one chance in life! No “baptism for the dead,” purgatory, etc.
* Prepare for eternity by being obedient to God (John 14:15).
* Obey all of the Bible. Its writers carry the authority of Christ (Luke 10:16). Bible inspired by God (II Tim. 3:16-17).
* A few Bible commands: Assemble (Heb. 10:25); give (I Cor. 16:2); sing (Col. 3:16; Eph. 5:19); do good (Gal. 6:10).
* Following God’s plan is a must! Following your own apart from God will lead to destruction! (Prov. 16:25).
R.W. McAlister 8/23/09 a.m.