What Color Is Racism? – Notes/Study Sheet
* Tomorrow set aside to honor civil rights activist, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
* Past century full of great accomplishments. Also contains many failures. Racial prejudice a great failure.
- Racism played great role in WWII. * Prejudice – to pre-judge.
* “Racist” a great insult. Likely began after flood when mankind dispersed (Gen. 11:6ff).
1. Some history of racism.
* Israel God’s chosen people. Disdain for others developed. New word emerged: “strangers” (non-Hebrews – Ex. 12:38;
* Law of Moses designed to show kindness to strangers (Ex. 23:9, Lev. 19:33-34; Ex. 22:21-24; Acts 2:10b; Num. 15:14-
* God never wanted hatred among His people (Acts 17:26), but it developed (Luke 10:31-32; John 4:9; Mark 7:3-4).
* Our own “Civil War.”
2. How do we recognize racism?
* Exists in all segments of society. *Racist will resist hiring another race, or will hire a less qualified person to
accommodate his own race. *A racist cringes to see people of different color in marriage (Num. 12).
* Racists focus on skin color, not character content.
* God no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34).
* Jesus suffered from racism (Jn. 1:45) – “Can any good thing come out of Nazareth?”
3. Why is racism a continuing problem?
* Parents teach children (sadly). Remember song from “South Pacific” – “You’ve Got To Be Carefully Taught.”
- You've got to be taught to hate and fear, You've
got to be taught from year to year.
It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear, You've got to be carefully taught,
You've got to be taught to be afraid, Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a different shade. You've got to be carefully taught.
You've got to be taught before it's too late Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate. You've got to be carefully taught,
* Racism’s ultimate source: Satan.
4.What does the Bible say about racism?
* I Samuel 16:7, “God sees not as a man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart.”
* Matt. 7:12: “...all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them...”
* Eph. 2:11-16 – Christ tore the barrier down. We’re to be one in Him.
* Jas. 2:1-4 – Stern warning against showing partiality.
* What can we do? Preach the Gospel! Teach the Gospel! Only it can soften the heart and tear down the sinful barrier of