Veterans of the Cross –Notes/Study Sheet
* Veteran’s Day - day to honor the men and women who have served our country in the Armed Forces.
* Veteran – old, experienced; long-practiced, especially in war/military. A person of long experience in some position.
* Lord’s church composed of veterans of spiritual warfare against Satan. * Young soldiers of the cross should want to
become veterans. Must take up cross daily (Luke 9:23) & persevere (Rev. 2:10).
* Eph. 6:10-18: Gospel Armor. Paul told Ephesian church to beware of the devil’s deception. Used familiar example.
* Ephesian letter written to those who didn’t fully realize power of/in Jesus. Ephesians shows these things about Jesus:
- Jesus’ grace (Eph. 1: 6–7) His glory (Eph. 1:12,14), His purpose (Eph. 1:9,11), His inheritance (Eph. 1:18), power
(Eph. 1:19), love (Eph. 2:4), workmanship (Eph. 2:10), Spirit (Eph. 3:6), gifts (Eph. 4:11), sacrifice (Eph. 5:2),
strength (Eph. 6:10), and His armor (Eph. 6:11-18).
1. Belt of Truth
* Roman belt supported battle weapons.
* Gird yourself w/truth. Satan will lie (Gen. 3:4)
* We must study the Word (II Tim. 2:15).
* Fasten on the belt of truth (II Thess. 2:10; I Tim. 2:3-4).
2. Breastplate of Righteousness
* Some Roman breatplates made out of leather, small interwoven brass rings or single piece of molded bronze.
* It protected vital organs. Spiritual breastplate protects our heart, where God’s laws are written (Heb. 8:10)
* God’s laws written on our hearts through exposure to them.
3. Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace (Fitted with Readiness)
* Roman shoe of the “sandal” variety. Thick leather soles studded with nails to provide stability in combat. Came above
the ankle and held to foot by leather straps.
* The Gospel prepares us for battle. Jesus’ mission on Earth put us at peace w/God.
* The issue is readiness! Christian’s feet must be ready to carry Gospel to every creature (Mt. 28:19-20).
* I Pet. 3:15 –
* Isa. 52:7 –
4. Shield of Faith
* Large Roman shield 4’ tall & 2’ wide. Could cover whole body. Offered protection against fiery arrows.
* Faith in God & His promises deflects doubt.
* Real faith – Heb. 11:6; Acts 4:12.
5. Helmet of Salvation
* Roman helmet usually made of bronze, iron, or leather. Cheek pieces protected cheek. “Shelf” protected neck.
* Paul says helmet of salvation essential for deliverance. Consists of: Hearing word of God (Rom. 10:17); Believing it
(Mark 16:16); Repenting (Luke 13:3); Confessing faith (Matt. 10:32-33); Baptism (I Peter 3:21); continued
faithfulness (Rev. 2:10).
* Helmet protects us from Satan’s attack.
6. Sword of the Spirit
* Roman soldier carried small dagger and large double–edged sword for thrusting. Sword was usually about 24 inches
long, and 2 inches wide w/parallel sides.
* Sword of the Spirit a deadly weapon to Satan when rightly divided and used w/understanding.
* II Tim. 3:16-17 –
* Is the source of our faith (Rom. 10:17) and through it, we’re saved (Jas. 1:21).
Join the Lord’s Army today and fight the good fight of faith! The promise of Heaven is there for those who are veterans in His cause! (Rev. 2:10; II Tim. 4:7-8).
R.W. McAlister 11/15/09 a.m.