Upon This Rock – Lesson Notes/Study Sheet
1. Establishing the church was always God’s intention.
* Eph. 1:4 –
* Eph. 3:10-11 –
2. The church was prophesied.
* Dan. 2:44 –
* This current age – “last days” (Isa. 2:2-4; Joel 2:28ff).
* Prophets foretold (Isa. 2:2-4).
* Church is international (Isa. 2:2).
3. Fulfillment of the prophecy.
* When was it established?
- Some claim Jesus did so during His personal ministry. Impossible! NT not in effect!
- Truth is it was on Pentecost (Acts 2; Joel 2:28-30).
- Kingdom would come w/power (Mk. 9:1), power would be received when Spirit was poured out (Acts 1:8), Spirit
given on Pentecost (Acts 2:4). Church must have been established on that day!
- Church’s grounding: Isa. 28:16; Psa. 118:22 –
* Where was it established?
- Not Galilee, as some claim.
- Cornerstone laid in Zion, aka Jerusalem (Isa. 28:16; Eph. 2:19-20).
* Universality of the church
- Eph. 2:11-22
- Rev. 7:4-9: Same destination for Jew & Gentile.
4. The church established.
* Spring of A.D. 30.
* Preparation lasted more than 3 yrs. during ministries of John the Baptist & Jesus.
* Mosaic system prepared the way for Christ (Gal. 3:24-25).
* Christianity a tremendous force (Acts 28:22).
* Church population on Pentecost at least 3000 souls (Acts 2:41). Include those baptized by John (Matt. 3:3-5) & Jesus’
other disciples (Jn. 4:1-2), and number much larger.
* Church population soon thereafter? (Acts 4:4). Could have been 20,000 + by time of Stephen’s death (Acts 7:60).
* Initial impact of the Gospel confined to Jews.
5. The Lord’s church was initially united in doctrine.
* Acts 2:42 –
* Acts 2:46 –
* “One heart & one soul” (Acts 2:32).
* Over time, departures occurred according to prophecy (Acts 20:28-30; II Thess. 2:1ff; I Tim. 4:1ff; II Tim. 4:1ff).
R.W. McAlister 7/5/09 a.m.