To Speak Thy Word With All Boldness – Notes/Study Sheet
* ... Lord, look upon their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants to speak thy word with all boldness – Acts 4:29.
* Peter & John healed lame man at gate called Beautiful; stood before Sanhedrin (Acts 3:2-7; 4:15).
* They proclaimed the Christ & rebuked the Israelites (Acts 3:14 & 15).
* Peter & John were arrested (Acts 4:2-3). Their fellow disciples prayed for boldness to teach the Gospel.
* We should pray for the same!
1. Boldness is a necessary characteristic!
* Apostles told not to preach/teach in Jesus’ name (Acts 4:18). Their response? “We must!” (Acts 4:19-20).
* Paul prayed for boldness (Eph. 6:19-20). Christians must be bold and convicted (Heb. 11:6; I Cor. 14:33; Eph. 5:17).
* Man is lost w/o Jesus (Jn. 14:6). Only the truth can free us (Jn. 8:32).
2. Definition of boldness:
* Parrhesia – “freedom in speaking; unreserved speech” (Thayer). “Outspokenness, frankness, bluntness.” (Strong)
* History of church: Growth came when preaching was bold & unreserved! Peter (Acts 3:14-15, 17, 19; also 2:38).
* Failure to yield to bold, Biblical preaching results in eternal destruction! (Acts 3:23).
* Acts 2:38 led to 3000 souls being converted! (v. 41).
3. Another definition:
* “Free and fearless confidence, cheerful courage, boldness, assurance.”
- Peter & the apostles (Acts 5:29).
- Stephen (Acts 7) – convicted his audience of stubbornness/resisting Holy Spirit/not keeping the law.
- His crowd stoned him to death (Acts 7:55-56).
- Boldness will cause us to speak no matter what the consequences!
- Paul – II Cor. 11:24-27: “...five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I
stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep...”
- Col. 1:23 – the result of boldness!
* Bible is full of examples of great men of faith! Consider Paul, John, Phillip, & James.
* More recent history includes stalwart defenders of the faith: Barton W. Stone, Alexander Campbell, Walter Scott, and
“Raccoon” John Smith, J. W. McGarvey, James A. Harding, G. C. Brewer, Foy E. Wallace, Jr., N. B. Hardeman, Gus
Nichols, Guy N. Woods, Thomas B. Warren.
* Today, we have men like Garland Elkins, Robert R. Taylor, Mack Lyon, Phil Sanders, & many others.
4. Boldness cannot exist without conviction.
* Speak w/confidence & courage about the Creator! - Paul (II Tim. 1:12)
- Herbert Spencer, 5 facts of science found in Gen. 1:1: “In the beginning [time] God [force] created [action] the
heaven [space] and the earth [matter].” We must emphasize God’s truth and His unchanging nature (John 17:17;
Rom. 3:4; Mal. 3:6).
* Boldly preach the plan of salvation. 1 church bought w/Jesus’ blood (Mt. 16:18; Acts 20:28). Christ has authority &
can set entrance terms into the church (Mt. 28:18-20).
- Preach pure Gospel (Gal. 1:6-9). Only it saves (Rom. 1:16). Obey (Luke 13:3, Rom. 10:9-10; Acts 22:16). Lord will
add obedient to His church (Acts 2:47). Salvation only in Christ (II Tim. 2:10).
* Speak boldly about the Lord’s church (Rom. 16:16)! Don’t apologize for it! We won’t be embarrassed that there’s
only 1 church (Eph. 4:4). Church is His body, He is head (Eph. 1:22-23). He will save only His body (Eph. 5:23).
* Boldly proclaim God’s grace won’t save you in sin.
* The religious world once knew where the Lord’s church, the church of Christ, stood. Does it know today?
R.W. McAlister 11/8/09 p.m.