Introduction: “How are Christian parents to react if their child has a homosexual teacher in the public school system? Would this situation be different from or similar to having a teacher we learn is an atheist?”
* Homosexuality more widespread now than ever. Homosexuals demanding greater rights.
* Many companies now funding homosexual activities (Pepsi, etc.).
1. What causes homosexual orientation?
* Not genetic or psychological.
* It is a learned behavior.
* Bible’s view: it’s a moral problem
- Sodom & Gomorrah (Gen. 19)
- II Peter 2:6-8
- Lev. 20:13
* Homosexuality has always been a sin!
2. What did Jesus teach?
* Jesus did condemn it through His messengers (Luke 10:16). Some claim He didn’t.
* Marriage for male and female (Matt. 19:4-6).
* Homosexuality a form of fornication.
- Sodom had gone after strange flesh (Jude 7).
- That city needed repentance (Matt. 11:23-24; Luke 17:29).
- Romans 1:26-27 condemns homosexuality.
- I Cor. 6:9 – “abusers of themselves with mankind” cannot enter heaven in that state.
- I Tim. 1:9-19 - Paul classified this sin w/murder and lying.
3. What should faithful Christians do?
* Teach them (I Cor. 6:9-11).
* Make absolutely certain of the individual’s orientation. Don’t trust rumors!! (II Thess. 3:11; I Tim. 5:13; Rom. 1:30).
* If rumors are true, is teacher promoting his/her lifestyle to class? If yes, speak to teacher and administration. Have
child transferred to another class if homosexual is flaunting that behavior. Switch schools if necessary.
* Parents must teach children ways of righteousness (Eph. 6:4).
* Will we disassociate ourselves from sinners? Great Commission? (Matt. 28:19-20). How can we be salt of the earth?
(Matt. 5:13) or let our lights shine? (Matt. 5:14).
* Homosexual teacher is similar to having one who is atheist. Both are lifestyle/belief choices.
* We must be willing to teach such individuals if they’ll learn.
* If not, make them defend their position morally.
* Make them defend their views and look for opportunity to introduce the Bible.
R.W. McAlister 12/28/08 a.m.