The Bible And Hell – Notes/Study Sheet
* Hell exists! (Matt. 5:29). Behold the goodness and the severity of God! (Rom. 11:22).
* Origin unsure. Most believe it comes from 2 words: prefix a (not) and idein (to be seen). Hence, “not to be seen.”
* Exact meaning must be determined by context in which it’s found.
* Hades is general abode of all the dead who await judgment. (Rev. 1:18; 6:8; Rev. 20:13-14).
* One part contains faithful dead (Paradise – Lk. 16:22&25; 23:43), the other contains wicked (Mt.11:23; Lk. 16:23-24).
* Means, “pits of darkness.” A deep place (Job 40:13; 41:31).
* References home of evil angels prior to banishment to Gehenna (Mt. 25:41).
* II Peter 2:9 – Ungodly dead will be kept under punishment until Judgment.
* Part of the Hadean realm where punishment (torment) is found (Lk. 16:23).
* Final abode of those who die without God (alien sinner, erring/impenitent Christian).
* “Valley of Hinnom”- place where children were offered to pagan god Molech (II Chron. 28:3; 33:6).
* Finally became garbage dump for Jerusalem where constant fire burned. Appropriate name for place of eternal
* Jesus spoke of Gehenna many times in Sermon On The Mount.
- Mt. 5:22 –
- Better to go through life maimed than end up in Gehenna – Mt. 5:29&30; ________________________.
- Mt. 10:28/Lk. 12:5 –
- Jewish leaders (Mt. 23:15) – Mt. 23:33 –
- Jas. 3:6 – the tongue is “set on fire of hell.” Meaning? –
* Important truths about punishment in Gehenna!
- Involves both resurrected body and soul. Unrighteous also resurrected from dead (Jn. 5:28-29; Acts 24:15).
- Christ indicates body and soul subject to pain of Gehenna (Mt. 5:29-30; Mk. 9:43-48; Mt. 10:28).
- Gehenna involves awareness. Mt. 10:28, “destroy” means “perish, loss, or lost” – apollumi. The soul will continue
forever in this state!
- Bible descriptions of conscious agony in Gehenna – unquenchable fire (Mk. 9:44), “where the worm dieth not” (Mk.
9:48). Wicked will be tormented. Consciousness clearly implied! (Rev. 9:5, 11:10, & 14:10-11).
- For the wicked, agony begins in Tartarus, progresses into Gehenna at Judgment, and lasts forever! (Mt. 18:8; 25:39).
- There are no 2nd chances after death! (Ezek. 18:20, Lk. 16:26).
- The fire of Gehenna is unquenchable (Mt. 3:12), punishment eternal (Mt. 25:46; II Thes. 1:9).
- Mt. 25:46 – word referring to length of glory same as one referring to length of punishment (aionion).
4. Hell and a benevolent God?
* No one will be there who shouldn’t be! –
* Lord doesn’t want any to perish (II Peter 3:9) –
* When men choose path to Gehenna, God won’t force them to change (Acts 13:46).
* Because God is just, evil must be punished! (Hab. 1:13, Psa. 89:14; Rev. 16:5).
* God is both just and a justifier of those who obey (Rom. 3:24-26; Heb. 5:8-9).
* Even in hell, judgment will be fair! (Mt. 10:15; 11:20-24; Lk. 12:47-48; Heb. 10:29; Rev. 20:12-13).
Dear soul, be baptized to have your sins washed away or repent if you’re an erring Christian. Don’t make Hell your final destination!
R.W. McAlister 4/5/09 a.m.