Some Important Questions About Satan – Notes/Study Sheet
* Satan is real. He tries to induce mankind to sin (I Pet. 5:8).
1. When were angels created?
* Seems it happened 1st day before creation of the Earth (Ps. 148:2&5; Job 38:6-7) though Bible doesn’t say.
2. Why is Satan our enemy?
* Once inhabited Heaven, but was cast down for rebellion (II Pet. 2:4); bound w/everlasting chains (Jude 6).
* He lost the battle against God, but wouldn’t give up. He’s vindictive (Rev. 2:12), has devices (II Cor. 2:11), & is
deceiver of the world (Rev. 12:9).
* He couldn’t fight God (Job 42:2; I John 4:4). Needed new target & chose man – made in God’s likeness (Gen. 1:27).
* Satan would “get back” at God through us. Sin entered world through man (Rom. 5:12).
* Satan is: prince of this world (Jn. 12:31), roams about as a hungry lion (I Pt. 5:8), & has followers to help (Mt. 13:38).
* Scripture calls Satan: “king of the abyss,” “Destroyer” (Rev. 9:11), and the “wicked one” (“Belial,” II Cor. 6:15).
* Satan will stop at nothing! Examples: Eve (Gen. 3; I Cor. 15:21; Ezek. 18:20), Job (Job 1-2); David (I Chron 21:1&7);
Joshua (Zec. 3:1ff), Paul (I Thess. 2:18); Ananias (Acts 5:3); Judas (Jn. 13:2); Christ (Mt. 4:1-11).
* Where would we be had Jesus yielded? (Heb. 10:26; Jude 13). He is the enemy! (Mt. 13:39).
3. Why does Satan still exist?
* He’s a murderer (Jn. 8:44). Capital punishment for him? (Num. 35:16). Angels cannot die (Luke 20:33-36).
* God may be using him to test man (Ex. 9:15-16). Man created for God’s glory (Isa. 43:17).
* Man must choose between good & evil for obedience to God to be meaningful. W/o Satan, we’d have only God.
4. Satan has a mission.
* He wants to see all of humanity in hell. Bible calls him: devil (Mt. 4:1), father of lies (Jn. 8:44), wicked one (Mt.
13:38); ruler of darkness (Eph. 6:12), serpent (II Cor. 11:3). These ought to scare us!
* Satan is the father of sin (I Jn. 3:8). Disease & death came from him.
* Satan originated sin, but can’t make us sin. He tempts, but can’t force us. Temptation is not sin. Christ was tempted,
but didn’t sin (Mt. 4). Satan cannot override our free will (Jas. 1:14-15).
* Judas took responsibility (Mt. 27:4). Ananias was to blame for his sin (Acts 5).
* We must choose, but Satan can lure us away (II Cor. 2:11). Entices us through deception. Use God’s armor (Eph. 6).
* Deceit is Satan’s most powerful tool (II Thess. 2:10). He: blinds the unbelieving (II Cor. 4:4); appears as an angel of
light (II Cor. 11:14-15); when people hesitate to believe, Satan steals the truth (Luke 8:12); has snares (I Tim. 3:7); &
uses his wiles (Eph. 4:14; 6:11).
5. What powers does Satan have by which he deceives humanity?
* He’s god of this world (II Cor. 4:4). He could offer possessions to whomever he chose (Mt. 4:9; Luke 4:6).
* His powers are: perverting the word (Gen. 3:1-4), false doctrine (I Tim. 4:1-3); blinds us to the truth (II Cor. 4:4);
sows tares among the wheat (Mt. 13:24-30; 36-43); steals Word of God (Mt. 13:19); lays snares for men (II Tim.
2:26; I Tim. 3:7); temps (Mt. 4:1; Eph. 6:11); he afflicts (Job 2:7; Luke 13:16; Acts 10:38; II Cor. 12:7); he deceives
(Rev. 12:9; 20:8-10); undermines the home (I Cor. 7:3-5); tempts us to transgress (I Chron. 21:1; Mt. 16:22-23);
hinders the work of servants (I Thess. 2:18); makes accusations against God’s children before God (Job. 1:6-11; 2:3-
6; 21:1-5; Zech. 3:1-4; Rev. 12:9-10).
* I Thess. 3:5 –
* Book of Rev. written to encourage us (Rev. 2:10). We can overcome if we remain faithful! Satan is bound & thrown
into the abyss! (Rev. 20:2-3).
* God will be victorious (I Jn. 3:8)! * Jesus will triumph! (Heb. 2:14). * Satan’s fate? (Rev. 20:10) –
* God’s pledge (Gen. 3:5):
* Ps. 118:24 –
R.W. McAlister 11/29/09 a.m.