Some Challenges We Face – Notes/Study Sheet
* Today’s world extremely sinful. Filled with distractions.
* Distractions (including exhaustion; toys, etc.) often keep us from study & worship.
* I Thess. 5:22 – Abstain from all evil. I Tim. 5:22 – Don’t share in other peoples’ sin. Remain pure.
* Matt. 16:26 – Your soul not worth the whole world!
1. Living Godly in an un-Godly world.
* Rom. 12:2 – Don’t conform to the world.
* Col. 1:12-14 – We’ve been delivered from the world.
* II Cor. 5:17 – Christians are new creatures in Christ.
* Even so, we sin & come short (Rom. 3:23). Must pray/repent (Acts 8:22; I Jn. 1:7).
* Must live righteously (Titus 2:11).
* Christians will be persecuted (I Jn. 3:13; Acts 16:25; II Tim. 3:12), but that lifestyle is worth it!
* We can do it! (Phil. 4:13).
* God will help His faithful & punish the un-Godly (II Peter 2:9).
* Ungodly, impenitent apostates, all outside the body of Christ will be lost (I Peter 4:17).
* There’s always a way out (I Cor. 10:13).
* Sin is serious! (Heb. 6:6).
* Dying Godly leads to Heaven (I Peter 1:3).
2. Preaching an unchanging Gospel in a changing world.
* The world has changed continually since Creation.
* The Gospel addresses the sins of any age! Is for the whole world (Mk. 16:15-16).
* Only one church, one Gospel (Matt. 16:18; Mk. 16:15-16).
* People have been turning away for centuries & perverting the Gospel (II Tim. 4:3).
* Contend for the faith (Jude 3). The faith (Acts 6:7; Gal. 1:23; I Tim. 4:1; 5:8; Eph. 4:5; I Cor. 1:10).
* “The Faith” was delivered, not invented by man. It came from/was delivered by God (Gal. 1:11-12).
* “Once delivered.” No need for further revelations. Christ offered “once” (Heb. 9:28; I Peter 3:18).
* No ongoing revelation/spiritual gifts (I Cor. 13:8-10; Eph. 4:11-16).
* The one Gospel is the power to save (Rom. 1:16). Nothing else is!
* Must never deviate from the one Gospel (Gal. 1:8-9).
* Lev. 10:2 –
* Word of God complete (II Tim. 3:16&17).
3. Remaining undenominational in a denominational world.
* Denominations use all sorts of gimmickry to lure in the masses.
* Drama groups, instrumental music, choirs, praise teams, gyms, contemporary services; etc., excite but don’t save!
* Many religious groups claim “unity” when they have merely formed a union of diverse people & ideas.
* Paul warns against following men instead of following God (I Cor. 1:10-13).
* Today’s preaching mirrors that of many denominational preachers: self-help, counseling, jokes, etc.
* Jesus was concerned enough to pray for unity (John 17:20-22).
* The faithful must strengthen & edify each other (I Thess. 5:11).
* We must help bear each other’s burdens (Gal. 6:2).
R.W. McAlister 7/19/09 a.m.