Ready to Meet Goliath! – Notes/Study Sheet
(I Sam. 17:8-11)
* David & Goliath (I Sam. 17). Recorded for our learning (Rom. 15:4).
* Goliath’s challenge: I Sam. 17:8-9 –
* Eliab tried to send David back to the sheep (I Sam. 17:28).
* David answered Goliath’s challenge (I Sam. 17:45&46).
* King Saul knew David was young and Goliath much more experienced (I Sam. 17:33).
* Many things we don’t let our children do.
* David had to conquer many things.
1. David won the battle of self.
* Controlled temper under duress.
* Prov. 16:32 –
* “Show-off” would not have beaten Goliath, but David victorious w/God’s help (Rom. 8:31; Prov. 16:18).
* Great cause for which to fight (I Sam. 17:29).
* David remained calm & clear-headed facing Goliath.
* Goliath was a giant who stood _________ tall & wore _____________ lbs. of armor. Spearhead weighed ______ lbs.
* David given Saul’s armor, but was too small for it (I Sam. 17:39).
* Took sling, 5 stones, a staff, & God into battle.
2. David won the battle of fear.
* I Sam. 17:32 –
* David aware of the foe, but not afraid. He had defeated bear & lion before (I Sam. 17:34-36).
* Doing what needs to be done according to God’s will is victory, despite outcome!
* Jesus said take up your cross & follow Him daily. (Luke 9:23&24).
3. David won the battle of unbelief.
* The Lord delivered him from the bear & lion (I Sam. 17:37). He knew he’d be delivered again.
* The Lord was on his side, and will be on ours (Phil. 4:13; Rom 8:31).
* Our faith often weaker than David’s when he faced this giant. Other Bible figures have struggled w/unbelief.
* Mark 9:17-27 – Man & demon possessed son.
* Man asked Jesus, “If You can, help us!” (Mk. 9:22).
* “If?” Jesus’ power not uncertain! Rebukes man. Problem not Jesus’ power, but man’s faith, as with today!
* All things possible to one who believes (Mk. 9:23). Deep faith in God always rewarded.
* “Help my unbelief” (Mk. 9:24). Sometimes, our faith weakens. Jesus cast out the demon (Mk. 9:25).
* We know that God exists. Only a fool would say otherwise (Ps. 14:1; 53:1).
* God loves us! We must never forget that! (Rom. 8:32).
* In spite of these facts, grief sometimes overwhelms us & causes us to doubt.
* Sometimes our grief makes us pout, we refuse to pray. “We’ll show God! We won’t go to worship services!”
* At times like these, we need a good shaking! We need to ask God to help our unbelief!
* Beware the devil! I Peter 5:8 –
* Matt. 19:26: “With _____________________ all things are ______________________________.
* I Cor. 10:13 – God has provided us a way of ___________________________________________.
R.W. McAlister 8/2/09 p.m.