One Of Our Three Greatest Needs: Faith – Notes/Study Sheet
(I Cor. 13:8-12)
* I Cor. 13:13 – faith, hope, & love – 3 great needs.
* Age of supernatural ended, but these 3 abide.
* What is biblical faith? How does it relate to “belief ?” How does it relate to knowledge?
1. Biblical faith & belief.
* Unfounded faith (“leap of faith”) not Biblical faith.
* Faith a kind of belief. Can be weak or strong. Strong belief __________________. Weak belief _________________.
* Bible faith always knowledge/evidence based (I Peter 3:15).
* Bible faith/knowledge & Law of Rationality –
* Reason - _____________________________________. Revelation - ______________________________________.
* Christians try to make the believable understandable – builds faith on evidence (Rom. 10:17).
* John 20:30-31 –
* Testimony of another can result in personal knowledge.
* Mark 16:11&13 –
* Disciples weren’t justified in their disbelief (Mk. 16:14)
* Acts 18:8 – “many of the Corinthians hearing, believed.”
* Sometimes faith comes by sight (Jn. 20:29). It does not always preclude belief (Jn. 4:41).
* Also, faith not diminished by lack of sight (Jn. 20:29).
* II Cor. 5:7 –
2. Relationship between faith & knowledge.
* Jn. 6:69 –
* II Tim. 1:2 –
* Jn. 4:42 –
* We don’t believe that God is: against, without, or beyond the _____________________________.
* Faith is directly linked to knowledge. W/o knowledge, there can be no faith.
* Knowledge w/o commitment = disbelief (8:30-46; 12:42,43; James 2:19).
* Faith & knowledge never opposite each other in Bible.
* Some things can be both known and believed:
- Isa. 43:10 –
- I Tim. 4:3 –
- Jn. 4:42 & 6:69 –
3. Faith in Heb. 11.
* Faith depends upon revelation (Heb. 11:4-8; Heb. 1:1).
* Faith involves trusting our Maker (Heb. 11:7-8).
* Faith discriminates (Heb. 11:26).
* Faith is an action word (Heb. 11:7-8; Jas. 2:26).
* These people acted because their faith was based on knowledge!
* We need a faith that possesses us!
* Gen. 22:12 –
* To have a vibrant faith, we must put the Word in our hearts (I Thess. 2:13).
* Bereans (Acts 17:11-12) – Heard the Word and searched the scriptures.
* God wants all men to be saved (I Tim. 2:4).
* II Peter 3:18 –
* Christians know they’re saved (I Jn. 5:13). * We can know the truth, and it makes us free (Jn. 8:32).
* God has made the truth so plain that any who reject will stand before God at Judgment “without excuse” (Rom. 1:20).
R.W. McAlister 5/3/09 a.m.