Let No Man Despise Thy Youth – Notes/Study Sheet
(I Tim. 4:10-12)
* Which are the most difficult years of life? Toddler? Youth? Adulthood? Old age?
* Quite possibly, youth. Feeling of independence, yet very young.
* Youth a time of danger & challenge (Gen. 8:21; II Tim. 2:22).
* Solomon (Eccl. 12:1) – “Remember thy ________________________ in the days of thy ________________.”
* I Tim 4:12 –
* He was father’s favorite. Brothers were jealous (Acts 7:9).
* He resisted temptation (Gen. 39:9).
* His age? (Gen. 37:2) –
* His attitude toward his brothers; God (Gen. 45:5; 50:20)?
* Played key role in Moses being returned to his mother (Ex. 2).
* The future of the Hebrews entrusted to this young girl!
3. King David.
* Slew Goliath while just a young boy (I Sam. 17). Irritated that Israel was so afraid.
* Dismissed as a youth by King Saul & Goliath (I Sam. 17:33, 42).
* Exceptional king (II Kings 23:25).
* Began to purge idolatry around age of 20 (II Chron. 34:1-3).
* Restored the Passover (II Kings 23:21-23; I Cor. 5:7).
* Began ministry in 13th yr. of Josiah (Jer. 1:2).
* Ended his work when Babylonians destroyed the temple (586 B.C.).
* Possible he preached for over 60 yrs., suggesting he began while in late teens.
* Spirituality glimpsed when she greeted Elizabeth (Luke 1:46-47).
* Very likely she gave birth to Jesus while in her early teens.
* Close friend of Paul.
* Told the Philippian saints, “I don’t have anyone else who cares about you as much as he does” (Phil. 2:20).
* Paul wanted to see him one last time as death approached (II Tim. 4:9).
* Converted Timothy on his 1st missionary campaign while in Lystra (Acts 14:8; I Cor 4:17; I Tim. 1:2).
* I Tim. 4:12 –
8. Youth are valuable!
* T.B. Larrimore & F.D. Srygley
* Song, “He Is My Everything”
* No matter what your age, God can use you too, and it’s not too late to become a Christian!
“Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.” – I Tim. 4:12.
R.W. McAlister 5/10/09 p.m.