Knowledge & Ignorance
* Many contrasts in the Bible, heat & light, cold & dark, etc. (Gen. 8:22); some call evil good and good evil (Isa. 5:20);
broad way & narrow way (Mt. 7:13-14); heaven & hell (Luke 10:15); ignorant worship (Acts 17:23); vain worship
(Mt. 15:8&9); will worship (Col. 2:23); acceptable worship (Jn. 4:24)
* Vast difference between knowledge & ignorance!
* We must know and obey in order to be saved! (Mt. 7:21; Heb. 5:8-9)
* Ignorance – lack of knowledge about a subject, not stupidity! Many are ignorant of numerous subjects.
* We mustn’t waste time trying to answer what God has not revealed (Deut 29:29). We must learn what is revealed.
* All we need to know has been revealed (II Peter 1:3). We must learn it – ignorance is not bliss!
1. We are responsible for our own soul!
* No church “squabble” is worth me “shutting down!” My soul is at stake and I will answer to God! (II Cor. 5:10; Rev.
20:12; Prov. 8:36; Ezek. 18:20).
* Ignorance is no excuse! We can’t live in ignorance of God’s Word & go to heaven, but sin ultimately condemns us!
(Rom. 3:10&23; Rom. 6:23; Isa. 59:1-2) Sin is transgression of God’s law (I Jn. 3:4).
* Break a speed limit you’re ignorant of, still violation of the law. Disobey law of gravity and still get hurt.
2. We’re responsible for the souls of others!
* Elders will answer regarding congregation they oversaw (Heb. 13:17).
* He must know his duty (I Tim. 3:2-6).
* Preachers must give account. Must preach all of God’s Word w/o holding back (Acts 20:26-27; II Tim. 4:2).
* Preachers must know God’s Word to be acceptable (Isa. 56:10).
* Preachers must not only preach what the crowd wants to hear (Isa. 30:9-10; II Tim. 4:3-4).
* Church members have responsibilities to each other. Must do good to others as Jesus did (Mt. 9:36).
* Must let our lights shine (Mt. 5:14-15).
3.What about knowledge?
* Knowing God’s Word greatest choice anyone could make! It prepares us to stand before God in Judgment.
* Essential to turn from sin &evil and toward God (Ezek. 18:20-23).
* We can’t keep God’s statutes if we don’t know them! We must study! (II Tim. 2:15)
* “Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments” (Psa. 119:66).
* Fools despise wisdom (Prov. 1:7); fools hate knowledge (Prov. 1:22). Seek after knowledge (Prov. 23:12).
* Horrible things happen due to ignorance! (Isa. 5:13; Hosea 4:6).
* Israelites looked for the Messiah but didn’t recognize Him when they saw Him! (Rom. 10:3, & 18-21).
* We must not reject knowledge (Hosea 4:6; I Tim. 2:4).
* Zeal for God must be accompanied with knowledge (Rom. 10:2; Col. 1:19). Must study the right thing (II Tim. 3:7).
* Grow in knowledge of Jesus (II Pt. 3:18) w/Christian graces (II Pt. 1:5). Willful ignorance = destruction (II Pt. 2:20-21)
4. Finally, what will we choose?
* Truth of God’s Will makes us free (Jn. 8:32). Do we want to know it?
* The saved choose to know God’s will then obey it (Jn. 8:31-32).
* If you choose to disbelieve, God will allow it (II Thess. 2:11-12).
* Rich man of Luke 16 was in torment when he died (v. 19-31). He was ignorant of God’s will & reaped what he sowed.
* Only 2 sentences will be passed on Judgment: “Depart into eternal fire” (Mt. 25:41) or “Come” (Mt. 25:34).
* Do you want to hear the Lord say, “Come?” Then: Believe in Christ (John 8:24), Repent of all your sins (Luke 13:3)
Confess faith in Jesus (Acts 8:37) and be Baptized for the forgiveness of your sins (Mark 16:16). You’ll be a “new
creature” IN Christ (II Cor. 5:17).
The choice is yours. Will you choose ignorance, or will you choose to increase your knowledge of God and His will for mankind? Doing so will determine your eternal destination! Please choose knowledge and do it today!
McAlister 7/6/08 a.m.