Jochebed – Woman of God – Notes/Study Sheet
* Jochebed - courageous model of a mother, a woman of God, used greatly by God. Jochebed had the opportunity to
raise three leaders: Aaron, Miriam and Moses! She was right kind of mother because:
1. She feared God more than man.
* Knew the decree of Pharaoh (Ex. 1:22). Disregarded personal safety to save son.
* Who should we fear? God (reverence, respect – Eccl. 12:13; Mt. 10:28).
* Must obey God, not men (Acts 5:29).
2. She taught her daughter to be wise.
* Instructed her to watch for the ark carrying Moses; offer to have someone nurse the baby (Ex. 2:4,8).
* This plan kept Moses w/his mother for a few more years & she got paid to raise her own son! (Ex. 2:9).
* What is wisdom? It is:
- the ability to rightly apply knowledge
- seeing life from God's perspective
- wariness and caution
- understanding and insight into the true nature of things
- the ability to discriminate and to tell the difference between right and wrong
- the ability to exercise sound judgment in making decisions
* Godly mothers teach wisdom. They do so by:
- living wisely and prudently (Eccl. 12:13; Mark 16:16, I Peter 3:21, Rev. 2:10).
- giving good advice (Prov. 11:14).
- studying the Bible w/children, monitoring their activities
- bringing them to church (Heb. 10:25)
- praying with them (Jas. 5:16)
3 She prepared her son to live right in a pagan world.
* Managed to save her son and teach him for a few years.
* Jochebed & Amram both people of faith (Heb. 11:23).
* Can our children resist the sinful temptations of the world?
* No greater work for a mother than to raise Godly children! Moses carried lessons through life learned from mother.
- risked his life for Hebrew slave (Ex. 2:12).
- character such that God chose him to lead the Israelites out of bondage (Ex. 3).
* Greatest challenge today is living Godly in an ungodly world.
* Christians have been delivered from the world! (Col. 1:12; II Cor. 5:17).
* When Christians sin, they crucify Jesus all over again (Heb. 6:6).
* We must deny worldliness & embrace righteous living (Titus 2:11).
* Moses was raised this way (Heb. 11:24-26).
* People will be persecuted for following God (II Tim. 3:12).
* Phil. 4:13 –
* II Peter 2:9 –
* The ungodly will perish (I Peter 4:17).
* God’s faithful can endure (I Cor. 10:13).
* Prov. 22:6 –
Mothers will always have influence over their children. Use yours to steer your children to Christ, no matter how old they are!
Happy Mother’s Day!
R.W. McAlister 5/10/09 a.m.