Jesus’ Last Will & Testament – Notes/Study Sheet
* Man not allowed to pick and choose what he believes (Deut. 4:2, Rev. 22:18&19).
* Diatheke (Grk.) – “Covenant” or “testament” (also contract).
* Last will & testament.
1. Multiple Testaments cannot be in effect at the same time.
* Jesus Christ is ___________________________ of a new testament (Heb. 8:8&13).
* New Testament is new in what ways? 1) 2)
* Heb. 8:8 – New Covenant is coming (Jer. 31:31-34).
* Something old must _________________________ ________________________ (Heb. 8:13).
* Christ did what? (Heb. 10:9) ______________________________________________________.
* Paul said living under 2 covenants like being married to 2 women (Rom. 7:1-4).
* 7th Day Adventists borrow (wrongly) from both testaments (Ex. 20:8; Ezek. 20:10-12; Luke 22:30).
* Other religions look to Old Law to justify other things (instrumental music from Psalms, etc.) see Jn. 10:34.
2. For testament to be in effect, must be death of Testator.
* Heb. 9:15-17 – testament no effect while Testator lives!
* Water baptism essential to salvation under New Law (Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38; 22;16; Eph. 5:26; I Pet. 3:21 et al).
* While Jesus lived, New Law not in effect, there fore He could grant pardon as He chose (thief on Cross, palsied man –
Luke 23; Mark 2:1).
* New Law in effect. Baptism essential part of being pardoned from past sins (Acts. 2:38; 22:16).
3. An approved testament cannot be altered.
* Gal. 3:15 – Once testator is dead and testament approved, cannot be altered/added to.
* The Bible’s commands often cluttered with human traditions (Mt. 15:1-9).
* Such ought not to be!
4. Some testaments have conditions placed upon them.
* Gal. 4:1-2 – A father may leave his son an inheritance, but he can’t have it until he’s 21, for example.
* May not inherit at all if he doesn’t meet certain conditions (complete college degree, etc.)
* There is certainly a place for obedience in receiving salvation, for God has ordained it so (Jas. 2:20; Rev. 2:10).
* Paul taught Christians are made free from sin through obedience (Rom. 6:17-18; Jn. 3:36, II Thes. 1:8; Heb. 5:8-9; I
Pet. 4:17) – obedience of faith (Rom. 1:5; 16:26).
* Notice “exception” clauses – Jn. 8:24, Luke 13:3-5, Jn. 3:3-5). Except certain things be done, salvation won’t be
Obey the Lord, become a New Testament Christian today!
R.W. McAlister 11/16/08 a.m.