Is God Really There When I Hurt? – Notes/Study Sheet
* Trial and tragedy part of everyday life. Heartache abounds.
* God loves us and cares for us – wants us to cast our cares upon Him (I Peter 5:7).
* People see suffering in the world and wrongly conclude that God either doesn’t exist or doesn’t care.
* Many Bible worthies have triumphed over trial. We can learn from them (Rom. 15:4).
* Jezebel sought to kill him (I Kings 19). * Accused of troubling Israel (I Kings 18:18).
* Even so, he’d won great victories for God.
- Proved the God of Heaven superior to false gods (I Kings 18:20ff). God was there for him.
* Removed from his homeland as a youth & forced into Babylonian culture (Dan. 1).
* He grew in favor with the king & was plotted against (Dan. 6). * Was thrown to the lions, but not harmed (Heb.
11:33). His enemies then thrown into den & slaughtered (Dan. 6:24). * God was there for him.
* Didn’t want to be a prophet (Amos 7:14). Would have been happy to continue his shepherding/fruit-gathering work.
* Prophesied that Israel would be overthrown & its king killed by sword – didn’t make him popular!
* Also prophesied that Amaziah’s children would be killed and his wife would become a prostitute (Amos 7:17).
* God was there.
* Micaiah called for to reassure kings of Israel & Judah of joint campaign (I Kings 22).
* Micaiah was hated (I Kings 22:8). He was pressured, slapped (I Kings 22:24), & imprisoned.
* Ahab was killed per Micaiah’s prediction (I Kings 22:34). He lived to see vindication. God was with him.
* Stephen persecuted by/on trial by the Sanhedrin for his Christianity (Acts 6).
* Convicted them of their sin even in the face of likely death (Acts 7, esp. 51-53).
* Stephen stoned to death, but glory awaited. God gave him a glimpse of what lay ahead (Acts 7:55-56). God was there!
* Faced the Pharisees & Sadducees (Mt. 3:7-12).
* King Herod’s wife had John beheaded (Mark 6:14-29).
* God was with John and knew his hurt (Mt. 11:11).
* Suffered many persecutions (II Cor. 11:24-28).
- 40 Lashes (Deut. 25:1-3) - Roman beatings (Acts 16:23)
- Stoned (Acts 14:29) - Shipwrecked (Acts 27:41ff)
* God promised to be with him (Acts 18:9-10). Reassured him (II Cor. 12:9).
* Paul welcomed trials, for they strengthened him (II Cor. 12:10).
8. Christ, our supreme example!
* Had no physical comforts (Mt. 8:20). Seized by mob, falsely accused, teased, beaten, crown of thorns, struck, spat
upon, and crucified. * Where was God? Where is He when we hurt? Waiting to receive and comfort.
* God showed His love for man (Rom. 5:8). We must follow Christ’s example and trust God (I Pet. 2:21-23).
* Jesus tasted death for us and can help us through trials (Heb. 2:9-10, 18). We must endure for Him and be like Him!
* We will suffer in His service and should count it a blessing (II Tim. 3:12).
* Rev. 19: Christians will triumph through Christ! He will be victorious and our faith won’t be in vain!
R.W. McAlister 12/13/09 a.m.