I Believe the Lord, But... – Lesson Notes
* Failure to believe Christ not a new problem (John ; 46-47).
* Words have meaning! Heed the words of Jesus – they will judge us (John ).
* Majority professes belief in existence of God, but fail to believe/heed what He commands.
1. “I believe the Lord, BUT not what He said about building His church.”
* “I will build my church” (Matt. ). Man has no authority to build a church!
* Matt. – The kingdom (singular) was at hand for people of that time. Since Acts 2, it’s here now!
* Matt. 16: Peter identifies Christ/affirms His identity (v. 14-16). Jesus promises ONE church (Mt. ).
* Paul teaches same thing – 1 church (Eph. 4:4, I Cor. ).
* Paul condemns division (I Cor. -13).
* Jesus prayed for unity (John -21).
* Lord’s church is blood-bought (Acts ). Christ is head & will only save His body (Eph. -23).
2. “I believe the Lord, BUT not what He said about men being called by the Gospel.”
* Lots of folks talk about their “experiences.” Bible knows nothing about one preceding or following baptism.
* Men are called, but not supernaturally (I Thess. ; I Peter 2:9; II Tim. 1:9).
* The calling is God’s (Eph. ); ours (Eph. 4:4); a high calling (Phil. ); holy calling (II Tim. 1:9), & a heavenly
calling (Heb. 3:1).
* We’re called the same way – through the gospel (II Thess. ).
* God did call men – Abraham (Heb. 11:8), but such has ended (I Cor. 13:8-10).
* God no respecter of persons (Acts ). He wouldn’t talk to one of us but not another.
* We can resist the Gospel call (Acts ).
* The Gospel the apostles preached is true and only Gospel (Gal. 1:6-10). People come to Christ through it (Jn -45).
* Faith produced by the word of God (Rom. ; John ,31).
To be a member of the Lord’s church requires: belief (Heb. 11:6), repentance
(Luke 13:3), confession (
baptism (Acts ), & service until death (II Tim. 4:7-8). Gospel is only power of God unto salvation (Rom. ).
3. “I believe the Lord, BUT not what He said about the kingdom being first in my life.”
* Our lives are busy, but His kingdom must come first (Matt. ).
* We often reverse the proper order of things – secondary things come first, first things come second.
* Put the kingdom first in attendance, evangelism, growth, service, & care of the brethren (John ).
* Kingdom must be first in our lives (Matt. ).
* Spiritual matters must take precedence over worldly matters! Civic meetings, club meetings, sports, voluntary work,
vacation, company, etc. must give way to serving God! (Heb. 10:25).
4. “I believe the Lord, but not what He said about those outside His church being lost.”
* Jesus said, “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned” (Mk. ).
* Matt. 7:21, “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth
the will of my Father which is in heaven.”
* No Christians in denominations in the 1st century because none existed! No such thing as a denominational Christian.
* Being “in Christ” and “in the kingdom” mean the same thing (Col. 1:13-14).
Salvation is in Christ (II Tim. ). We become
“in Christ” through baptism (
* God’s vengeance will be on those who obey not the Gospel (II Thess. 1:8-9).
* Heb. 10:26-31 – “It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”
* God NOT our “Heavenly Grandfather” who won’t punish. Note the goodness and severity of God (Rom. ).
* God must be worshipped in spirit and in truth (John ). Can’t happen outside His church.
“I believe the Lord, but...” “He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him” (I John 2:4). Believe in the Lord, but also believe the Lord, He will keep every promise He’s made (II Peter 3:9) – including punishment for the disobedient – but He wants you to be saved. Make your life right today!