Have You Been Drawn to God?
* God communicates with His people, but not directly or audibly (Psalm 19:1, Rom. 1:20).
* At one time, He did (Gen. 20:1-7; Acts 16:9; Dt. 34:10; Heb. 1:1), but not now (I Cor. 15:1-4).
I. How does God draw men?
* Jesus fed the multitude (John 6:10).
II. What is the divine drawing? – John 6:44-45
* We must be drawn, but is it irresistible or does it occur indirectly?
* It is not irresistible – if it were, all men would be saved (Jn. 12:32).
* We must be taught, hear, learn, and come (Jn. 6:45).
* Taught –
- I Cor. 2:13 -
* Hear – (Hearing with a view to learning)
* Learn – (Rom. 6:17)
* Come –
* Jesus’ invitation, “come unto me” (Matt. 11:28). Why would He invite if we were automatically subject to depravity?
* We can choose! Difference between “can’t” and “won’t.” Mt. 23:37 – Jerusalem “would not” yield.
* Practice “I won’t” for too long, it becomes “I can’t” (Jn. 12:39).
* The more one resists, the harder it is to accept.
* God draws, but not irresistibly!
III. Finally, a proper understanding of John 6:44-45 can lead us to redemption.
* Hopefully, we are all drawn to the Word of God in the way He would wish.
R.W. McAlister 1/25/09 a.m.