Four Ds in Hebrews Notes/Study Sheet
* Christian life is one of assurance (Rom. 8:1; Heb. 10:22).
* Also one of endurance or patience (Heb. 10:36). From hupomone (hoop-om-on-ay) to remain under.
* Result of failed endurance.
* Heb. 10:26
- OT sacrifices couldnt forgive sins and no longer in effect.
- Jesus blood is only sacrifice. Sin willfully and fail to endure/stop enduring, what sacrifice is left? None!
* Heb. 10:27 a certain fearful expectation of Judgment.
- Sift flour: fine used, coarse not. Relationship to Judgment?
* What happens if I fail to endure?
- v. 29 -
- v. 30 -
* We must do what to receive the promise? (v. 35-36)
* I must be steadfast, unmovable (I Cor. 15:58).
* Romans 11:22
II. Dynamic = Faith!
* Heb. 10:39 Perdition not the destination of those with strong, obedient faith!
* Rom. 1:17 - II Cor. 5:7
* Faith defined (Heb. 11:1)
* Examples of faith in Heb. 11: Individual and general. Both moved by dynamic of faith!
- Commitment Abel and Enoch (Heb. 11:4-5)
- Compliance Noah (Heb. 11:7), Abraham (11:8 & 17), Sara (11:11)
- Conviction Isaac (Heb. 11:20), Jacob (v. 21), Joseph (v. 22)
- Courage Moses (Heb. 11:23-27)
- Conflict Israel (Heb. 11:29), Jericho (v. 30), Rahab (v. 31)
* Faith must be exercised through discipline.
* Heb. 12:1 Lord made race possible, we set it before us by becoming a Christian
* Cloud of witnesses are encouraging, but focus must be on Christ (v.2) as grand example of endurance
* What do my trials really amount to in light of Jesus sacrifice? Why do I face them? Why do I endure?
* Discipline (v. 4-7). Earthly fathers discipline (or should). God does the same (v.6).
* God wont allow us to be tried by more than we can overcome (I Cor. 10:13). Discipline makes us better.
* Heb. 13:1 philadelphia (brotherly love). That must characterize the Christian
* Heb. 13:2-3 love strangers (see Gal. 6:10)
* V. 5
* V. 7
* V. 17
* V. 24
Make your life right with God today! As the song says, Theres danger and death in delay...
R.W. McAlister 2/15/09 a.m.