Did God Really Inspire the Bible’s Writing?
(II Tim. 3:16-17)
* If God inspired the Bible, we need to live by it!
* The Bible claims its own inspiration.
* All 66 books are in harmony. Written over a period of _______________ yrs. by ________________ authors.
* 7000 prophecies, the bulk of which have come true & others waiting to be fulfilled.
1. Omissions in the Bible that point to its inspiration.
* Why no descriptions of God & Jesus?
* Why so little known about Jesus life on Earth? About the lives of the apostles?
- Things in the Bible that couldn’t have come from human mind. 2) Things not in Bible that men would’ve included.
2. Strange things in the New Testament that man wouldn’t have included.
* When a writer wants to gain a following, he’ll avoid issues that will turn away his potential followers.
* We wouldn’t find an illegitimate birth (Matt. 1:19), but that’s how it happened.
* A hated tax collector wouldn’t have been chosen to be an apostle (Matthew 9:9-13; Mark 2:14; Luke 5:27-28).
- New Testament associates publicans w/harlots & sinners (Matt. 21:31; Mark 2:15).
* Simon the Zealot (Luke 6:15; Acts 1:13) –
* Woman who kissed/washed the Savior’s feet (Luke 7:36-50).
- Jewish men didn’t associate with _______________________ in public.
- Old Testament allowed women significant dignity (Prov. 31:10ff), but Jews picked up bad habits from pagans.
* Deut 24:1 –
* Leprosy wouldn’t be present. Even so, Jesus would help lepers (Matthew 8:2-4; Mark 1:40-44; Luke 5:12-14).
- Contrast: A rabbi wouldn’t eat an egg bought on a street where a leper lived! Jews would run from lepers!
* Racism wouldn’t be present. John 4:9 – Jews don’t deal w/Samaritans. Samaria viewed as land separating Judea from
Galilee & Jews would travel around it.
* Only minor mingling between Jew & Samaritan (John 4:8).
* James & John asked Jesus if they should call fire from Heaven to kill some Samaritans (Luke 9:51-56).
* In spite of hatred between Jew & Samaritan, N.T. names one Samaritan a hero; priest & Levite evil (Luke 10).
* Samaritan leper thanked Jesus for his cure (Luke 17:11).
* In Nazareth, Jesus read from Isaiah; said His followers wouldn’t heed Him because they knew Him (Luke 4:24).
- Cited 2 Gentile examples of faith: Naaman & widow of Zarephath. Nazarenes wanted to murder Him (Luke. 4:29)
* If uninspired humans wrote the Bible, why would it have controversial teaching? Christ’s teachings:
- Must bear the cross of Christ (Matt. 10:34ff; Luke 9:23).
- Marriage law – only innocent victim of extra-marital affair could re-marry (Matt. 5:32; 19:9).
- Commanded His followers to put Spiritual treasures ahead of material possessions (Matt. 19:16ff; Luke 12:13-21).
- Battled hypocrisy of false teachers (Matt. 6:1ff; Luke 12:13-21).
* Prince of Peace (Isa. 9:6). After feeding a multitude, Jews tried to force Jesus to be their king. He refused (Jn. 6:15).
* Isaiah prophesied that though oppressed, Jesus would submit to His enemies (Isa. 50:6; 53:7&9). Proved in His trial.
* Jesus taught disciples to love enemies (Matthew 5:38ff; cf. Romans 12:17ff).
3. You can believe the Bible!
* “He that believeth and is baptized will be saved...” (Mark 16:15). Believe it!
* Be baptized & live faithfully, then you’ll see Heaven (I Tim. 2:4).
* When the Bible promises destruction to the unfaithful; to those who haven’t obeyed the Gospel (II Thess. 1:7&8),
Dear soul, you can have absolute confidence in what the Bible teaches. Believe it and be saved today!
R.W. McAlister 8/9/09 a.m.