Could Ye Not Watch With Me One Hour? – Lesson Notes
Introduction: Sleep is important. Most people don’t get enough sleep.
* Recommended that we get 7-8 hrs. nightly. Quality sleep is essential to good health.
* Sleep can also be detrimental when done at wrong time or for too long.
* Matt 26: Peter, James, & John in Garden w/Jesus. Seemed to share special bond w/Jesus.
* Jesus became sorrowful – probably due to what was to come. We can’t understand His position (II Cor. ).
* Went further into Garden and prayed for God’s will to be done.
* “Watch” – keep awake in order to be prepared for what might come.
* Disciples couldn’t even stay awake & offer “moral support!” Lack of concern? Lack of understanding?
* Of all, His 3 closest disciples should have been there for Him!
* They forgot who He was! He took care of them (Mt. ) & would die for all. They couldn’t keep awake w/Him.
* Their spirits were willing, but the flesh was weak. How often do our minds wander when they should be watching?
* The command “watch” is for all of us (Mark ).
1. We need to be awake and watching Jesus.
* Mt. 14 – Peter walked on the water to Jesus. Did fine until he took his eyes off the Lord.
* If we fail to watch Jesus, we too will sink.
* Watching Jesus is what He wants us to do (Luke ; John ). This is how we learn His will.
* Watch what He says (Mark ; John 3:5; Acts 20:7).
* Watch what He does (Acts ; Mt. ).
* Without love, we’re nothing (I Cor. 13:2).
* Follow Him constantly (Luke ; Rev. 2:10).
* Paul watched Jesus diligently. Forgot past, pressed toward the goal for the prize (Phil. -14).
2. We must be wide awake and watching others.
* Christians must watch out for each other. “Watchman” principle (I Sam. 14:16; II Sam. 18:24-27).
* Watchmen sat high – hilltops or top of walls (Jer. 31:6; Ezek. 33:7).
* Jesus’ followers must watch (I Cor. ; I Thess. 5:6; II Tim. 4:5).
* Blessed is he who watches (Rev. 16:15).
* We must be good soldiers (II Tim. 2:3) and watch so we can help/restore others (Gal. 6:1).
* Must not watch in order to tell tales (I Tim.5:13).
* 1st century preachers watched (Mark ; Acts ), so must we in 21st century.
* Must watch false teachers, too (II Peter 2:1-2; Matt. 7:15; Mark ).
* Test the spirits (I John 4:1). False prophets come in sheep’s clothing (Mt. ).
3. We must be awake and watching our own souls.
* Ultimately, our salvation is our own responsibility (II Cor. ).
* All humanity will be judged (Mt. ; ; ; I Kings 10:7).
* In spite of the great crowd, I will answer for me (Ezek. 18:20).
* Rom. 14:12 – I will give account for me and me alone.
4. When I must sleep, I want to sleep in Jesus (I Thess. 4:13-14).
* Those who sleep in Jesus will enjoy eternal bliss.
* “Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their
labours; and their works do follow them” (Rev. 14:13).
Repent and be baptized today!
“Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God” (Jesus – John 3:5).
R.W. McAlister 8/3/08 a.m.