The Impact of Biblical Ignorance on the Church
Seven times in the New Testament, we find the expression (or its equivalent), “I would not have you to be ignorant.”
* Rom. , “For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this
* I Cor. 10:1, “Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant...”
* I Cor. 12:1, “Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you
* 2 Cor. 1:8, “For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant...”
* I Thess. , “But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren...”
* 2 Peter 3:8, “But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing...”
* Ignorance means a lack of knowledge about a particular subject.
* Ignorance caused Saul to set out to eradicate the Lord’s church (I Tim. )
* Isaiah and Hosea were prophets of God in different geographical areas. They faced common
problems. At the root of their problems was ignorance of the will of God. (Isaiah 1:2-7; Hosea
* Ten things that happen to the church as a result of Biblical ignorance.
1. Ignorance causes the church to look like the world. (I Peter 1:14; Eph. 4:17-18)
2. Ignorance causes the church to forget the fundamentals of Christianity. (Titus 3:8;
Jude 5; II Peter 1:13).
3. Ignorance causes the church to be spiritually immature. (Hebrews 5:12-14) The Bible
commands knowledge: (II Peter ; Colossians 1:9; Philippians 1:9; Prov. &
& 14; Heb 6:1)
4. Ignorance causes false doctrine to enter the church more easily. (Matthew 22:23-32;
Matt. 15:9; II Peter 3:3-10; Eph. 4:12).
5. Ignorance causes immorality to invade the church more easily. (Eph. 4:17-25; Romans
6. Ignorance causes the church to be unable to answer Bible questions. (I Peter &
; I John 4:6; II Cor. 10:3-5; I Tim. 3:15)
7. Ignorance causes the church to be unable to carry on spiritual talk. (I Cor. 3:1-3)
8. Ignorance causes the church to be ineffective in evangelism. (Mark 16:15; I Tim. 2:4)
9. Ignorance causes the church to offer unwarranted criticisms. (Matt. 12:7; II Peter 2:12;
I Tim. 1:3)
10. Ignorance causes us to be rejected by God. (Romans 10:3; Acts & 35; Rev.
; I Cor. 15:34; Prov. 1:7 & 30:3; I Cor. 14:38)
Are we going to learn, follow and spread the message of God to a world whose head is sick and whose heart is faint? The only solution is Christ, and the only ones who shall proclaim Christ are those of us who say we believe He is the Son of God.