Approaching God In A Time Of Crisis – Notes/Study Sheet
* Prov. 25:11: “I know how you feel” are important words from those who have endured what we’re going through.
* Psalm 102: “A prayer of the afflicted when he is overwhelmed, and poureth out his complaint before
Jehovah.” This prayer occurs in midst of tragedy and is directed toward God.
* Anatomy of a lament:
1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
1. The writer’s prayer was one of distress (v. 1-2).
* He knew __________________________ could help, but he wanted help ____________________________.
* II Peter 3:4 –
2. The Psalmist lays out his case before God.
* He’s going through a mental, physical, social, and spiritual crisis.
* “For my days are consumed like smoke, and my bones are burned as an hearth” – v. 3. Life’s trials strain us mentally.
* “My heart is smitten, and withered like grass; so that I forget to eat my bread” – v. 4. Psalmist cut down like
grass. So distressed that he forgot to eat.
* “By reason of the voice of my groaning my bones cleave to my skin” – v. 5. He was anguished, felt as “skin and bones.”
* “I am like a pelican of the wilderness: I am like an owl of the desert” – v. 6. Lonely and depressed, unlike the eagle.
* “Mine enemies reproach me all the day; and they that are mad against me are sworn against me” – v. 8. His enemies
reproached and tormented him.
- Jn. 9:1-2 –
* “For I have eaten ashes like bread, and mingled my drink with weeping” – v. 9. Ashes a token of mourning and he had
more than his share.
* Thought his condition was a result of divine wrath (v. 10). Not all suffering is result of personal sin (Jn. 9:1-3).
* Saw life’s end approaching (v. 11).
3. What gave him hope:
* God is above time (v. 12) –
* Is a Being of mercy (v. 13) –
* Vs. 14- 16 –
* Vs. 17, 19, 20 –
* When God gives us help, men will __________________ and ___________________ him (vs. 21-22).
* Psalmist wanted his days to continue (vs. 23-24).
* God is eternal (vs. 26-27) and will care for His children (28). Christ would bless all nations (Gen. 12:3; Gal. 3:26-29).
* VICTORY is the word for God’s faithful! (Rev. 17:14).
R.W. McAlister 11/30/08 p.m.