A Worker For the Lord!
* Enjoy Labor Day, but Christians must never be thought lazy. We must abound in the Lord’s work (I Cor. 15:58).
* Work: a specific task, duty, function, or assignment (Webster).
* Not everything we do is a “work of the church” just because we want it to be. What work has God given us to do?
* Question of the church’s work = question of authority (Col. 3:17). Authority lies w/Christ (Matt. 28:19-20).
* Jesus’ commandments found in the scriptures (Eph. 3:3-5; I Cor. 14:37).
* Work of the church not entertainment!
* There is work to be done, and the Bible condemns laziness (Titus 1:12&13). Some are “slow bellies” (lazy gluttons).
* Matt. 20:1-16 – Parable of Vineyard. One application? We must work in the Lord’s service.
* Much can be accomplished when we have a “mind to work” (Nehemiah 4:6).
* Jesus worked (John 9:4). * We must be continually working (I Cor. 15:58).
* Material possessions often choke out a Christian’s service! We must prioritize! (Col. 3:1-2).
* Works of the church are:
* Defined: disposition to do good, an act of kindness, a generous gift (Webster).
* Jesus spoke of benevolence often in 1st four Gospels.
* Parable of Good Samaritan (Luke 10). The lawyer asked: ____________________________________? (Luke 10:29).
* Who was neighbor to the injured man? _______________________________________________ (Luke 10:37).
* Jesus went about doing good (Acts 10:38). Are we following His example? (I Peter 2:21).
* “Remember the poor.” Paul was zealous to do so (Gal. 2:10).
* Jas. 1:27 – Visit the poor & widows. True faith will cause us to show compassion (Jas. 2:14-16).
* If we don’t help a needy brother, we don’t have the love of God (I John. 3:17).
* Defined: the act of building, building up. Spiritual strengthening of the church.
* Eph. 4:11-12 – miraculous gifts were to ______________________ the body of __________________________.
* Today, such gifts have ended (I Cor. 13:8-10) & not needed anyway. Word of _________builds us up (Acts 20:32).
* I Thess. 5:11 –
* I Sam. 23:16 – Jonathan did what for David? _____________________________________________________.
* Christians must _______________________ one another daily (Heb. 3:13).
* Encourage each other to do right! (Heb. 10:24).
* Worship edifies the church (I Cor. 14:26).
* I Cor. 14 speaks of worship. Edifying spiritual gifts used here (v. 23).
- v. 15 speaks of ____________________ & __________________________, both of which are worship.
- v. 29ff – preaching.
* Purpose of worship – to honor God. Benefit of worship – our edification (Col. 3:16; II Peter 3:18).
* God’s Word can build us up to the point we can enjoy a Heavenly inheritance! (Acts 20:32).
* God’s Word can prepare us for the incorruptible, eternal home (I Peter 1:4).
* The Word can save our souls! (Jas. 1:21).
* The Word of God & it alone is what must be preached, for only it can save souls!
* Entertainment won’t save.
* We must be about the Lord’s business! “The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few...” (Luke 10:2).
Dear Soul, become a worker for the Lord today and you’ll stand to inherit the best “retirement package” anywhere!
R.W. McAlister 9/6/09 a.m.