* God created man from the dust of the earth (Gen. 1:27; 2:7). He can heal man if He so chooses (Ex. 15:26).
* No implication that Israelites would never get sick. Death happens to all (Rom. 5:12; Heb. 9:27).
* There’s a better place where sin doesn’t exist (Rev. 21-4; 22:1-5).
* God’s promise to Israel was assurance of general well-being to those who seriously sought His will.
* Godliness can help make longevity possible (Eph. 6:1-3).
1. Miraculous healing. Numerous cases in both Testaments.
* Young boy’s life restored (I Kings 17:17-24).
* II Kings 4:8 –
* Naaman (II Kings 5:1ff).
* Jesus cured:
- Blindness (Jn. 9:1ff)
- Deafness (Mk. 7:31-37)
- Hemorrhaging (Lk. 8:43-48)
- Leprosy (Lk. 17:11-19)
- Amputated ear (Lk. 22:49-51)
* Healing in Acts: (2:43; 3:7; 5:1-5,12-16, etc).
* Miraculous healing not being done in this age. Nothing today happening like healings the Lord did in 1st Century.
* Real miracles = instant results (Mk. 10:52; Acts 3:7). True miracles subject to senses (Jn. 2:9; Jn. 20:27; Lk. 22:51).
* Supernatural healing done to confirm revelation (Mk. 16:20; Heb. 2:2-4) ended when N.T. finished (I Cor. 13:8-10).
2. Healing by natural design.
* Human body has certain healing powers. (cuts, broken bones, surgery recovery, etc.)
* Healing process very complicated. Not even modern medical science can fully explain.
* 5 phases in healing process of a skin wound:
- coagulation of blood
- inflammation (redness & swelling)
- collagen fibrils develop
- scab formation
* Later, a scar forms and healing continues beneath the surface.
3. Helping along the healing process.
* Use doctors’ medical knowledge and medicines.
* Medicines referenced several times in Bible (Pr. 3:8; 17:22; Isa. 1:5-6; 3:7; Jer. 30:13; 46:11; Ez. 47:12).
* Luke was a physician (Col. 4:14).
Trust God and serve Him faithfully – no matter what.
R.W. McAlister 4/12/09 p.m.